In order to provide the same caliber of water protection around roof vents, you can use the following steps for flashing installation:
- Remove shingles surrounding the vent with a pry bar to avoid damage.
- Pry up existing flashing with the use of a lever.
- Gently pull flashing to remove over the vent pipe.
- Replace with new flashing by aligning the collar in the same direction.
- Use roofing nails to secure flashing around the perimeter of the vent pipe.
- Cover exposed nail heads with asphalt cement; apply cement around the perimeter of the collar to seal.
- Replace removed shingles evenly, working from the bottom row up.